Monday, October 19, 2009

Blue, Blue, You've Got the Flu...

Do you remember that little ditty from grade school? "Blue, blue you've got the flu, I don't want to play with you!" Well guess what? If I have the flu I don't feel like playing with you either!

And I do...

have the flu.

It was quite a week around here. The flu came to visit and stayed awhile. Richard called home Monday from school and was not feeling so great. He had a bit of a cough that morning. I thought, "Oh great. Here comes the bronchitis again!" I brought him home and within the next few hours he was running a fever and was aching all over. By the next day the cough was all but gone and he was in agony, hardly being able to move without moaning or crying out. I have never seen any of my children that miserable. A call to our doctor and a prescription for Tamiflu followed. "Don't bring him in!" they instructed. They were overwhelmed.

He was so much better by the next day that I exclaimed out loud, "I love Tamiflu!" He dutifully reminded me, "Uh, Mom, it's called a priesthood blessng...!" Well yes, of course it is! Thank heavens for the priesthood and faithful boys!

Saturday evening I had settled down on my bed to relax and started to not feel so well. Kind of achey and worn out. Dee came in a few minutes later and he looked awful! "I feel all achey and tired," he said. We both fell asleep quickly and woke up together just before 10:00 Sunday morning. I know he is really sick when Dee does not get up to go to his Sunday meetings. We stayed home, rested, ate homemade chicken soup, and slept better last night. We both still feel yucky today but life goes on. Work and laundry call.

Most of those little dittys were not nice such as, "Red, red, wet the bed. Wipe it up with gingerbread." or "Green, green, your're a queen. Servants feed you gasoline." But there was "White, white, you're getting married tonight!" And my personal favorite, "Yellow, yellow, kiss a fellow!" I think I'll wear yellow today!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is this the Swine Flu?? I have yet to really know how it differs from the "Regular Flu". Please don't tell me you got a flu shot and then got sick anyway. Every night on the News we hear about how many people are sick and it seems a little scary but we still aren't getting a shot or doing much to prevent getting sick ourselves. I guess we'll just take our chances. I'm sorry you've been sick but sleeping in until 10:00 on a Sunday morning actually sounds pretty great to me, so maybe, whether Swine or Regular, the flu isn't such a bad thing. I hope you feel better fast and I'm glad to know there's Tamiflu (and Priesthood Blessings).

Marianne said...

I have NO idea if it was Swine or not. Dee is the only one who has had a flu shot so far and it was the regular flu. Our fevers were not so high so I am not sure. I am just glad it is on it's way out and I still plan on getting the shots!

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Oh man my heart goes out to all of you!!! Especially since I just had it! Two weeks ago Thursday I came home from work feeling very tired, achey, and I had an awful head ache. I got in my bath and soaked and took some Tylenol. I then ate something and when I swallowed my throat felt kind of sore. I went to bed and the next day I knew I was sick. I have to say that I haven't been that sick in quite awhile. My body hurt so bad. Then the chills and fever started and my head ache was terrible. To top it all off I started coughing and my chest hurt so bad to cough. It was awful! I spent Friday, Saturday,and Sunday in bed. Monday I attempted going to work but stayed home. Tuesday I finally faced the world and thought o.k. I think I am going to live. Then this last Friday I started getting a runny nose and head ache again. I muttled through the weekedn and I feel a little better today but still pretty congested. I am not sure what this stuff has been but it can leave now and we don't want it back here! I think I should have asked for a blessing and got some Tamiflu.

I hope you guys feel better and soon!

Take Care-We Love You!
JoLynn

Lori said...

How about this say, "Been there, done that!" My back went out two days after Labor Day and then Doug and I, together, got the flu. I thought I was going to die and then wondered why I hadn't. It lasted about a week for Doug to feel better and it's taken almost a full month for me - probably because I also had major issues with my back on top of it all. Being sick is not fun and I do not recommend it together because - HELLO, who is going to take care of you if your sweetie is sick with you?

☂niki. said...

no good! it's never fun to be sick! my nephew had the swine flu and my sil was so worried i was exposed to it she made me call my dr. they prescribed me tamiflu as well. i never did get sick. i love tamiflu too:)

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with your journal entry, but I demand more movies/pictures of the dog.

I miss him. :(

Nancy Face said...

Oh, no! It sounds miserable! I hope everyone is well by now!

Gee whiz, I never heard those little dittys! I really missed out, didn't I?