Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Roof's Safe Shelter Overhead...



The wind was howling and I could hear the snow hitting the side of the house when I woke up this morning. Ughh! I knew it was coming but it didn't help me feel any better. I snuggled up under my comforter and ignored the alarm/radio as it told me of freeway accidents and high winds. Just then my sweetie came in and gave me a warm goodbye kiss. I immediately felt guilty that I get to stay in bed every day while he goes out into

Last Saturday when the temperatures were a lovely 76 degrees the men in the house, Dee Michael, & Richard went out to turn the soil and put in some cold weather plants namely, peas and onions. The onions were little sprouts that Michael carefully put in the ground. They have reveled in the sunshine until yesterday when a spring storm system moved into the Rockies. After a discussion at dinner last night the men went out again and built a structure to shelter the little onions from the frost and wind. It was quite ingenious, made of tomato support frames, 2x4 wall studs, tent stakes,and plastic tarp. I stayed in the warm house, did the dinner dishes and thought about my dear husband. He loves his garden with a passion and frets over every little plant. I saw a parallel between how he was working in the cold and wind to shelter the fragile green shoots and how he goes out into the dark and cold every morning to work to put a snug shelter over his family...who he loves more than his onions!

I love you sweetheart! I can't wait for this summer's fresh salsa!!

3 comments:

Gena said...

Happy Snow Day, Loose woman! I'm glad you are inside where it's warm and the wind won't hurt you. I'm grateful for the indoors, too, and wish I could get over my horrid cold and enjoy our snow day. I'm even more grateful for you taking care of my Michael. I'm jealous of your garden; I wish we had enough sunshine somewhere in our yard to grow veggies. I think I see some firewood in some of our trees futures...

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

WOW. I can't get over how you and Gena are still getting all of this snow. That is just wild! Especially as we sit in our 80 degree weather. But please don't be to jealous of us, yet, remember it's not long before were sitting in 110 degree weather!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about all your snow Marianne. I know Spring is coming any minute. I so wish we were good gardners, we keep trying every year, some years are better than others, but last year was especially poor for us and Jim is saying no garden this year. Since we have our neighborhood garden I guess it will be OK. I wish you guys lived here, we could use Dee as our neighborhood garden "director", the one we had, just quit. The Bishop is wringing his hands. Whatever those little turquoise blue things are in your garden look like those umbrellas they put in fancy fruit drinks in Hawaii...very cute.