Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Time Travel Tuesday ~ Seventy Years Ago

June 5, 1942 ~ Mesa, Arizona

George Dean Ellsworth married Helen Hamblin in the Arizona Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  In that historic and beautiful place my parents were sealed together not just "as long as you both shall live" but for Time and all Eternity. This knowledge has been very comforting to all of us since we lost Dad in 2003. I know with all of my heart that my dear father lives on in spirit. I know that he watches over us because I have felt that wonderful presence and spiritual confirmation. I know that we will all be resurrected and that this marriage that was sealed on Earth will continue on into the Eternities. Families are indeed forever and I am so glad to be part of this one!

The above photo has always been very dear to me. Look at the two of them! My father was one month shy of 21 years of age and my mother was not yet twenty. They look happy and Dad looked proud. (Posture! He always emphasized that, you know.) There was a war raging in Europe and the Pacific. Pearl Harbor had rocked their world only six months earlier. Through all of the uncertainty of the future they found each other and fell deeply in love. Their faith and the promise of Forever would carry them both through the next few trying years.




Does Mom look a bit wilted here? It was June in Arizona!
 The temple only had evaporative coolers then. Wow! Bless them all!

In this photo are my parents up front, behind them from left to right are middle row- Lora Ellsworth Hunsaker, Annie Dean Ellworth (Dad's mother), Ida Lee Hamblin (Mom's mother), back row- Naomi Ellsworth Harris, Roy Elmo Harris, George Franklin Ellsworth Jr. (Dad's father), & Alta Ellsworth Standage (Dad's aunt).  This must have been a very tender day for my Granny Hamblin. She had lost her sweetheart only 6 1/2 months earlier. How comforting the Gospel of Jesus Christ must have been to her on that day.


Aren't they a darling couple? Here they are a few months into married life. My mother has shared her memories of that day. This grapefruit tree, the sight of many family pictures, is where they stood that evening to greet their guests at the reception. It was in the front yard of the Ellsworth's home on North Hobson Street in Mesa. The property is still there but sadly the lovely bungalow home is not. For many years the old grapefruit tree stood in front of the apartments that stand there now,  just north of Pioneer Park. Is it still there? Mom recalls that Dad's sisters provided the music that night. She will have to remind me whether it was Ruth or Lora who played the piano. Dora played this violin. They also had a fun punch bowl. It was a block of ice with the "bowl" carved out of the center. It survived the heat of the night and kept that punch cold. The veil Mom wore was given to her by Dad's younger sister Naomi. She wore it on her wedding day one year earlier.

 I wanted to include this picture of Aunt Noni and Uncle Roy because it shows the veil and the Ellsworth home in the background as well. I am sure it was quite similar the night of Mom and Dad's reception; chairs borrowed from the church, flowers on the trellis, family gathered at home. It makes me long for simpler times! Do you notice someone on the front porch in a long dress? I have always wondered who that is and what they are carrying.


Later on that June night my parents heard a tapping at their downtown Mesa hotel window. One of Mom's sisters was calling, "Helen! Helen! Come outside! There is something I need to tell you!"
Psssh! Did they really think that the newlyweds were going to fall for the old Shivaree attempt? Not these two! It was customary for the bride and groom's friends to attempt a kidnapping and stage such antics as running the bride up and down Main Street in a wheel barrow and trying to keep the couple apart all  night long. I am glad they had the sense to stay inside that night!

I love these old family stories. I love my parents. How I wish my Dad were here today to celebrate 70 years of marriage with my Mom. I know he is with her though, just as surely as the sun rose this morning I know I will see him again and that our family will have an Eternity of love and togetherness!

4 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I loved this post! I love reading these stories and seeing these fun pictures. Grandpa and Grandma look so sweet and happy. My heart breaks for my grandmas and how sad they are without their sweethearts. I've often times thought of Grandpa George and Grandpa Jerry vising with each other. What wonderful sweet men they both are and how I miss them both so much! I hope they know how much we love them!

Lori said...

Oh Marianne I love these posts when you show pictures and tell stories from the past. I remember being over at Lora's house one evening when George and Helen were visiting. Doug and I had only been married for about a year. I loved that Uncle George would give me the biggest hug and then compliment me on my posture. Years later that always seemed to be brought up ~ he appreciated that I didn't slouch. I always made it a point to sit up straight whenever he was around because I knew he liked that. I look forward to the day when he'll compliment me again.

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

No wonder Grandma Helen misses Grandpa George so much...wowza! :)
I love these pictures...what a wonderful love story that will continue throughout eternity!

Anonymous said...

Such cute pictures of your parents and a sweet love story to go along with them. Thanks for sharing.