Monday, November 10, 2008

"In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom,


and our peace, our wives, and our children..."

Today I wish to honor all Veterans of War, including my father George Dean Ellsworth. Like so many other brave men of the Greatest Generation my father volunteered to serve his country. He had only been home from his mission a short time when he met and married my sweet mother Helen Hamblin. During this time the winds of war were already howling in Europe and Pearl Harbor was attacked in the South Pacific. These men knew if they were to preserve their country and their way of life, their precious freedom, their families, & their homes they had to step up and do what none of them ever thought they would have to. They left their families behind and headed off to strange lands. They were young college boys, athletes, farmers, businessmen, husbands, & fathers. They were All-American boys who found themselves jumping from airplanes, storming beaches, trudging through swamps and jungles, huddling in foxholes, sweltering in summer and freezing in winter. Some, like my Uncle Orland Hamblin were prisoners of war. He endured the Bataan Death March and spent the entire war as a prisoner of the Japanese. His faith got him through. He never held a grudge afterward. Most soldiers saw things they would rather forget. My Uncle Rulon Blunck was among the first liberators at the Nazi death camps. He saw and testified of the truth of the Holocaust's existence. My own father was part of a group of soldiers who, when the war ended was in China. He helped free Americans who had been held in a remote mountain location.
They had been tortured irreparably and kept in the most deplorable of conditions. He tells of his experiences on a dvd we have. He cried as he told the story. It is the first time I had ever heard him speak of many of the things he did and saw. I am grateful he finally told of them for the coming generation needs to know what other brave Americans went through for them.
Ordinary men heard the call and left their comfort to carry the Banner of Freedom.




6 comments:

Helen Ellsworth said...

Marianne. I was checking blogs to make sure I didn't miss any. I sometimes get busy and forget. When I went to yours it re4ally caught me off guard. There was Daddy as big as life right in front of my face and when I started to read it brought tears to my eyes.The memories from those days just flooded over me. The pictures you put in of the two of us with Sharon and the one of him holding her really touched me. It is still hard to beleive that she is no longer here with us. When ever I think of her since she died a little over a year ago the things I remember are when she was little and what a comfort she was to me while Daddy was so far from home. She was such a little doll. Don't feel bad because you reminded me. Sometimes memories make me cry but they are all I have of the two of them and I wouldn't give them up for anything. Thank you for a beautiful blog. I love you so much.
Mamma

Marianne said...

I love you dearly Mom! The memories are good aren't they?
As I have gotten older I appreciate what Dad and all of you did during that time so much more. I watch war movies and look at the young faces and think how they should all be home somewhere on a farm or in a classroom. But they did what needed to be done. I honestly believe you all were born for that time in history. SUch good people!

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I thought that was a really sweet tribute to Grandpa and to all those who have fought for our country and freedom.
I also especially loved the pictures. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us!
JoLynn

Gena said...

Good grief, I have a hard enough time not being emotional! I was scanning scads of pictures today of the war and when I hit that picture of Daddy in his uniform I lost it. Now I need to go back and label all the pictures. If you're nice to me I'll burn a CD for you.

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful tribute to your dad and all the many, many men and women who served and those who utimately gave their lives for the freedom we enjoy today. My dad was a medic in the Army and served in Europe during WW2, he didn't talk about his experiences very much but every now and then he would make a comment and I would catch a glimpse into some of the horror he lived through. These were brave people, sent to earth at that time for a special purpose, I don't think I understand it all BUT I am ever so grateful to them for their sacrifices for us. You are blessed to have the dvd of your dad's history regarding the War, I wish I had a recording of my dad, he was darling. Thanks for sharing his, and your, memories.

Edwin & Tamara said...

That was awsome
thank you so much for sharing